Police Agencies - please complete the online submission form and contact your local VSP barracks for assistance in issuing an Blue Alert.
The Vermont Blue Alert System is designed to rapidly disseminate information to the public when a law enforcement officer has been seriously injured, killed, or is missing in the line of duty warranting concern for the officer’s safety, and the suspect(s) involved have fled and pose an imminent threat to the public or other law enforcement officers.
A Blue Alert may only be activated by a law enforcement agency when a law enforcement officer has sustained a serious bodily injury, been killed in the line of duty, or when an action(s) or threat(s) to kill or seriously injure a law enforcement officer have been deemed imminent and credible. The following situations meet Blue Alert Criteria:
- A law enforcement officer has sustained serious bodily injury or been killed in the line of duty; and,
- The suspect(s) has not been apprehended; and,
- The suspect(s) poses an imminent threat to the public or other law enforcement officers; or
- A law enforcement officer is missing in the line of duty under circumstances warranting concern for the officer’s safety; and,
- There is enough descriptive information for law enforcement to believe a Blue Alert will help locate the law enforcement officer, the suspect(s), and/or vehicle(s) involved; and,
- The initiating law enforcement agency is willing and able to provide resources and assist in the investigation.
Sign up for Vermont Alert
You Can Help
- Sign up for Vermont Alert, to receive Blue Alerts, as well as any other emergency notifications you would like.
- Wireless Emergency Alerts - Confirm with your mobile device carrier to see if Wireless Emergency Alerts, including Blue and AMBER Alerts, are available in your area and your device is capable of receiving the alerts. Learn more.
If you hear a Blue Alert, watch for the suspect, and/or the vehicle described in the alert. Immediately report any sightings by calling 911 or the phone number included on the alert. (Do not call 911 to request information about the alert.)
The Vermont Blue Alert System is made up of the following partners: Vermont State Police, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Vermont Intelligence Center, Vermont Emergency Management, Vermont Lottery, Vermont Agency of Transportation, Vermont Association of Chief of Police, Vermont Sheriffs’ Association, Vermont Association of Broadcasters, and the Vermont Troopers Association.