Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When can I apply for grant funding?

A: Grant applications are typically due near the end of February for funding that will be available in the fall of the same year. For current funding opportunities, please visit the Funding Opportunities page.

State Homeland Security Grant Program: Application period is CLOSED

Operation Stonegarden: Application period is CLOSED

Nonprofit Security Grant Program: Application period is CLOSED


Q: Do you have you have sample policies for any of the following required items: Grant Management Policy; Procurement Procedures/Policy; Inventory Policy; Conflict of Interest Policy; Payroll Policy; Personnel policies/procedures?

A: We do not provide sample policies, as policies should be specific to the organization they belong to. You may want to think about reaching out to similar organizations that you work with or look online. The State of Vermont’s policies and procedures are publicly available on their website, should you think them applicable.


Q: How do I dispose of old, broken, outdated, or unused equipment purchased with Homeland Security Grant Program funds?

A: There are several options depending on the state of the equipment. If the equipment is old, broken or unusable, you may dispose of the item in the trash, recycling or other appropriate method. If the item could be used by another department, you may give it to a department for free, trade the equipment for something else or sell the equipment, as long as you do not sell the equipment for market value. In any of the above cases, you must document the status of the equipment on your Property Records List. If you give, trade or sell the equipment, you must also complete transfer of ownership documentation for your grant file.


Q: What is SAM and why do I have to have to be registered there?

A: The System for Award Management (SAM) has combined several federal procurement systems and the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance into one system. The consolidation has been done in phases. The overarching benefits of SAM include streamlined and integrated processes, elimination of data redundancies, and reduced costs while providing improved capability. 


Q: What is EHP and when do does my agency have to complete an EHP survey?

A: The Environmental Planning and Historic Preservation (EHP) program integrates the protection and enhancement of environmental, historic, and cultural resources into FEMA's mission, programs and activities; ensures that FEMA's activities and programs related to disaster response and recovery, hazard mitigation, and emergency preparedness comply with federal environmental and historic preservation laws and executive orders; and provides environmental and historic preservation technical assistance to FEMA staff, local, State and Federal partners, and grantees and subgrantees.

It is a requirement of all federal preparedness grants that an EHP survey be completed if any new construction, ground disturbance or installation is going to take place on a project utilizing federal grant funds. The survey must be completed and approved prior to the funds being awarded.


Q: What is programmatic monitoring and why have has my agency been chosen to have a visit?

A: Programmatic Monitoring is the process that VTHSU utilizes to review projects to ensure that they are being programatically completed in accordance with the grant agreement. They are not Financial Audits. Programmatic Monitoring focuses on open grant years only. 


Q: What does the programmatic monitoring process entail?

A: The process starts with VTHSU reaching out to a community to schedule the visit. The community will receive a letter to confirm the date/time of the visit, what to expect during the visit and the necessary documentation to be provided prior to the visit. VTHSU will review all of the grant files and will prepare the necessary documentation for the visit.

VTHSU will meet with the community, view the grant purchased items, and ask a series of questions regarding the grant process, NIMS, and training or exercising needs.

VTHSU will prepare a report outlining the visit, strengths and areas for improvement or concern. VTHSU will send the report to the community for comment and to develop a corrective action plan, if necessary. Once VTHSU has received comment or corrective action from the community, VTHSU will follow the community until the corrective actions are complete. Once complete, the monitoring visit will be closed


Q: What is a Property Records List and do I need one?

A: A Property Records List is a list of all items purchased with Homeland Security Funds. This is similar to an Asset List and can be combined with the agency’s ongoing asset list; however, items purchased with Homeland Security funds must be identified as such. If the agencies ongoing asset list is utilized, then 2 CFR 200.313 Code of Federal Regulations must be referenced to ensure that all categories detailed are utilized, as required.

All equipment over $5,000.00 per unit price, as well as electronics and IT related equipment, purchased through this grant must be included on the Homeland Security Grant Program Property Records List.

An applicant may be required to submit a completed Property Records List when applying for additional equipment. In this case, this list should contain all items being applied for, owned by the department, regardless of funding source. See the individual Request for Application Document for guidance as to whether or not a Property Records List is required to be included with your application.


Q: When do I need an amendment?

A: You may need an amendment if:

  • You have a change to the scope of work to your project.
  • You would like to purchase an item different from those listed in the Attachment A of your grant agreement.
  • You need additional time to complete your project for any reason.
  • You need additional funding to complete the project.

There may be other reasons that you need an amendment. If you are unsure whether you require an amendment, please contact your Financial Administrator and talk to them about what is happening with your project. They will work with you to determine the best course of action within the parameters of your grant agreement.


Q: How are priorities identified and funding allocated to projects?

A: VTHSU utilizes the following process for priority development and funding:

Contact Information

Vermont Homeland Security Unit
45 State Drive
Waterbury, Vermont 05671

Vermont Intelligence Center
(802) 872-6110